So, I attempted to make them myself. Super easy. Thaw out pita bread (if you're like me and bought like 3 packs because they were 50 cents a pack and had to freeze them. If not, skip this step.)
I bought the whole wheat variety. So I like to think my version is a little healthier (Erin - 1 Stacy- 0).
Looks something like this. Cut into eight squares, then seperate the top from the bottom, so two loaves makes 32 chips. Being around engineers for five years means basic addition may have rubbed off on me.
Place on a foil lined cookie sheet and brushed with olive oil. I tried to go easy on the olive oil. While it's a healthy fat, no one cares about this fact when it's hanging out the top of your jeans. Sprinkle with ground black pepper. They would also be great with sea salt (why didn't I think of that last night?!), basil, greek seasoning. The world is your oyster.
We baked ours for 10 minutes on 400 degrees. As you can see, they got a little brown, but still tasted great. Next time, I'll probably cook for 7 or 8 minutes.
We had some jalapeno and cilantro hummus from The Pub, which got rave reviews from Matt. I could drone on about the merits of cilantro, but I won't. I think its so fresh tasting and delicious. I'm really sad to notice now that it's limited edition. It was pretty spicy, so I had to wash it down with a beer.
Great appetizer, healthier than the bagged version at about a third of the cost (Erin - 2, Stacy- 0). This might be a new staple.
Love it! And I seriously heart cilantro.
ReplyDeleteOH. MY. GOSH. I am SO impressed with your pita chips! You go Miss Soon-to-be-Searson! Rock those pita chips with your bad self! Love it and can't wait to try!
ReplyDeleteThis is so great! I love Stacy's too, but they are a bit pricey. Especially when you can make your own for almost nothing!
ReplyDelete